The 7th edition of the Lagos Hotel HR Forum held at The Wheatbaker Hotel. Arguably, the best hotel in Lagos…if 90% of your employees has stayed the course for 8 years running…
Well, that’s why we met with Simon Grindrod, the GM and Ada Njoku, the HR Director. Together, they shared their Talent Maintenance Strategies. How has the Wheatbaker achieved consistency and excellence for so long? Here are a few reflections for HR Professionals:
- Do the little things consistently, that’s the secret.
- Pay salaries and wages on time and don’t play with employees’ days off.
- Work harder to compensate for the shortfalls in the environment.
- If you don’t want excuses, provide the resources.
- Articulate the advantages to the business of investing in employees…use the figures!
- Don’t let employees pay for bad decisions made at the top.
- Do not humiliate employees in front of others…fastest way to resentment!
- And for dessert…restocked grooming kits; fresh towels; paternity leave; visits when there is a birth, an illness or a death; free and open communication channels; a whistleblowing policy, hardship allowances, in-house skill acquisition schemes…
Sets the bar high, huh?
Belinda Nwosu FIH – Research Consultant W HospitalitGroup